What is Beard Balm?
So, what is beard balm? This is a very common question and the most common misconception going around is that Beard Oil and Beard Balm are one in the same. This is false, as Beard Balm is oil that is made by mixing, heating and cooling moisturizers and various sealants. Beard Oil, on the other hand is usually made by mixing different carrier oils with a blend of other essential oils and in some cases, even fragrance oils. So now that we’ve got that misconception cleared, let’s discuss Beard Balm a little more in detail.
First things first, let’s discuss the ingredients in Beard Balm and what they’re there for.
Ingredients in Beard Balm
- Beeswax: The most essential ingredient in Beard Balm is beeswax, which is a natural wax produced by honey bees.
- Butters: A mix of cocoa and shea butter is what makes up the butter component in your beard balm. Shea butter has huge benefits.
- The Carrier Oils: The carrier oils are what provide texture to your facial hair
- Essential Oils: Essential oils usually provide fragrance and some health benefits
There are certain beard balms which contain synthetic sealants in their mixture, like petroleum jelly which is quite damaging to the skin and may even hinder the growth of your facial hair, so it is advisable to buy balms which contain natural ingredients.
How can you use Beard Balm?
Beard Balm works as a styling and as a moisturizing agent for your beard. A good beard balm not only moisturizes your facial hair but is also an effective styling aid. It works on all types of beards. If you have a patchy beard, your purchase should include a balm which has shea butter. Shea butter is known to improve the thickness of your facial hair.
While applying beard balm, you should wash your beard with a natural soap and apply the balm only when it is dry. Take as much as is required to rub through your palms and run your fingers through your beard, starting right down from the neck to top, covering any area of your skin where your beard grows.
What are the benefits of Beard Balm
- Beard Balm acts as a great moisturizer and gives the soothing your beard and skin need. This is beneficial, as there are a lot of bearded men suffering from dry skin and fragile beards.
- It is this dry skin that is the source of all beard dandruff which looks and feels disgusting and can also cause other aberrations on your skin. Beard balms are the best preventive.
- Most men look for a nice-looking beard with a glossy and shiny look to it. It gives you that look and also adds thickness to your beard.
- With regular usage, it will help your facial hair to grow more uniformly. It will give a natural set look, making it exactly the way you want it.
Are there any negative effects to using Beard Balm?
As mentioned before, sometimes the natural oils present in Beard balm might cause allergies. Essential oils are highly concentrated which can cause irritation to the skin. If you find almond oil as an ingredient, it does have the potential to cause irritation because of its cyanide complex. Other than this, there is nothing major that could be called damaging.
So the next time someone asks you what is beard balm, be sure to point them in the direction of Pro Beard Products!